Skills Bootcamps areflexible courses giving successful applicants the opportunity to build up tech skills and fast-track them to an interview with an employer. They are being developed by the Government as part of the Lifetime Skills Guarantee, in partnership with employers, providers and local authorities, to help people develop the skills that are in demand in their local area and get a better job.
About this Skills Bootcamp
This Games Technology for Industry Skills Bootcamp introduces games development and how games technology powers engaging, immersive experiences in the games industry and beyond. It was developed in collaboration between senior, ex-games industry academics and the game studios and start-ups that have spun out of the Foundry at UWE Bristol.
This 16-week online programme will provide you with an overview of how games are developed, and how games technology underpins games, serious-games and non-game experiences. Central to your experience will be training in Unity 3D; a game engine and real-time development platform, that is used in 70% of today's games, which powers many applications beyond the entertainment industry. In addition to the online sessions, optional "booster" events will be hosted face-to-face on campus at the Foundry, but also streamed online as "blended" sessions for those engaging remotely.
An important element of the Skills Bootcamp is practice-based learning where, through several layers of support, you will develop the personal and professional skills to ensure you can operate as a professional within your chosen industry. Our Foundry interns will help develop your coding skills, industry tutors will lead your online sessions, while our industry mentors and academics will be on hand to help you build a recruitment portfolio, or advise you on business matters if you intend to start your own studio.
Games Technology now underpins interactive, immersive experiences in sectors as diverse as aerospace, architecture, automotive, manufacturing, marine or medical. So, whether you join seeking to develop games for the entertainment industry or to apply games technology to more serious applications such as simulation or visualisation, this bootcamp will increase your employability and help you achieve careers in games and or a wide range of other sectors.
Who is it for?
The Skills Bootcamps are open to all applicants provided they are aged 19 or over, are recently unemployed, self-employed, looking to move into a new job role, or coming out of furlough and seeking a pathway to a digital career.
Learners will engage with 16 weeks of flexible delivery, blending real-time online interaction with interactive online resources. Real-time content delivery will typically be recorded and made available for later review and flexible support will be available outside of formally timetabled sessions. Optional "booster" events will be hosted on campus at the Foundry, but also streamed online for those engaging remotely.
- Be aged over 19 years old
- Have the right to live and work in the UK (UK Citizen or valid visa, currently living in the UK)
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on their employment outcomes for up to 8 months following completion of the Skills Bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role* which utilises the skills acquired through their Skills Bootcamp
- recently unemployed, within the last 12 months
- self-employed, looking to develop their skills to increase their career potential
- employed, but looking to move into a new job role, or seeking a pathway to a new career
- employed, where you wish to gain increased responsibilities/new role within your current employment place or, your employer wishes you to develop your skills and is committed to paying 30% of the bootcamp costs*
For further information regarding eligibility please see here.