We're offering two fully funded places for those from underrepresented backgrounds on Esprit Film & Television's UK Gates STO Course. This training course will provide a curriculum of knowledge on the setup, test and operation (STO) of Gates professional underwater imaging systems.
In order to be eligible to apply for one of the two available MyWorld funded places at the Gates STO 2-day training course you must:
- Hold a current recognised diving qualification (eg Padi Open Water) and be able to evidence this
- Identify as being from a group (or multiple groups) which is /are underrepresented in the creative technologies industries
- Be able to demonstrate existing skills and experience of filming (eg studying/studied filming or have industry experience of filming)
- Be living or working in the Bristol and Bath area
- Be available to attend both of the two days in person. Day 1 will take place at Esprit office GL2 7PR and Day 2 will take place at Thornbury Leisure Centre BS35 3JB.
On the course you will learn:
- Proficiency in the setup of Gates underwater cinema housings
- Deep Weapon, Pro Explore, Deep Komodo, and Alexa Housings
- Familiarity with on-location test tools and techniques for establishing housing seal integrity
- Basic operation of Gates underwater housings
- Camera-specific considerations for the underwater medium: colour, light, filtration and more.
- Tips/tricks to assist the underwater cameraperson / DP
- Practical understanding of underwater optics: Port types, optical materials, selection and application
The training course will take place on 26 and 27 October, please see below for a full schedule:
Location: Esprit Film and Television Office – GL2 7PR
Time: 9.30 – 16.30
Lunch break: 13:00 – lunch provided (please let Esprit know of any dietary requirements in the registration form)
This will be a theory and dry practical session at the Esprit office. There will be a presentation introducing you to Gates Underwater Products and the theory of working underwater, and the rest of the day will be hands-on setting up the housings. There will have be a range of housing setups with different lenses, ports and domes.
Location: Thornbury Leisure Centre, Alveston Hill, Thornbury, South Gloucester, BS35 3JB
Time: 9:00 – 17:00
Lunch break: 12:00 – lunch provided
This is a wet practical day where you will set up the housings again, and then take them into the dive pit at Thornbury Pool.
Dive kit: All of the diving equipment you will need for the wet session will be provided, as this makes it much easier to comply with the diving regulations. Please bring your own short wetsuit, mask and fins (and snorkel if not diving).
Dive regulations: To comply with UK diving regulations and for your health and safety we need you to fill in the Sport Diving Medical Form. This will be sent to you upon confirmation that you would like to attend the course.
For further details about accommodation, please get in touch with email@example.com.
If you meet the eligibility requirements and this opportunity is of interest to you, please complete the application form before Friday 6 October.
In the event of any queries about the application form please contact the MyWorld Skills and Training team on firstname.lastname@example.org